Monday, September 21, 2009

Week Five

There is a number you can text, 542-542, where you can ask a question and it will send you the answer. For example, you would text the number: What's Gabby Pietro's address? And it would send back: 325 West Poplar. So last night out of boredom, and in an effort to avoid my math homework, I sent in "Who is Grace Goodman." The answer that came back? "There are multiple Grace Goodmans listed, please try and narrow your search." In reality there are probably multiple Grace Goodmans out there in the world, but there is only one of me.
This lead me to the question, who am I really? Yes, I am Grace Goodman, but if there are so many of us out there, what sets me apart? So I came to the to conclusion that you had to have a strong sense of self. I can be any of the other people in the world, but I'm not. I'm me. There has to be a reason for that.
Everyone is put on this planet to do something, to go along a certain path in life. Sopholes writes about fate, and destiny. In each of his stories his characters hear a fate about themselves, and in a effort to avoid their destiny, they end up running head first into it. This helps the characters in his plays develop a very strong sense of self. In Antigone, Antigone goes against the state, because she believes so much in that what she is doing is right. She's is the best example for a strong sense of identity.Antigone knew she was Antigone from the begining, she didn't have to text anyone to figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing post you put up tonight, Miss Goodman. I love this idea of asking who you are and taking from it the revelation that it is up to you to determine that. I once heard someone say, the question is not just Who am I but WHOSE am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... now I get it. Grace, this is a really amazing blog. I'm gonna interrogate you about it later, probably just you me and Brutus.

    ReplyDelete