Monday, September 28, 2009

Week Six

We live in America, the land of freedom, or at least that's what we tell people. There are more laws in America then any other country. Now, I'm not saying that these laws are unjust, or completely unfair, I'm simply saying there are a lot of them.
I grew up in a court room. My father is a public defender, and my mother is a real estate attorney. I've been to prison, I've watched countless security tapes, I'm my mother's receptionist, and when I was a kid on days when I was sick I sat in the back of a courtroom and watched my father do his job. I've seen the law to the fullest extent, and although it might not be perfect it is a constantly changing thing.
My father does one of the most controversial jobs out there. He defends people who have done horrific crimes, things such as murder, drug dealing, and rape. The perpetrators of these crimes are the people he has to defend every single day. So I guess you can say that I've seen the law both ways, I've seen it acted out to put bad people in prison, and I've seen it acted out to keep bad people out of prison. Kind of tricky from my point of view.
Either way, I've come to see the law as the law. It should be executed to the highest degree in the fairest way possible. The law is a ever changing thing, it changed in the 1960's with the black civil rights movement, and it was changing these past couple years with the gay rights movement. The law is something that must be acted out to serve the highest majority of the people, or truthfully it would never work. This might not always be fair, but nothing in life is truly fair.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great post, Grace, such a range of experiences! I thought it was interesting that Mr. Stubbs said in one of the classes that kids of any age can attend hearings for murder, rape, violent crimes but not family court/divorce proceedings. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it is a privacy issue, I mean it doesn't involve or affect the public

    ReplyDelete